Thursday 18 July 2013

Steam Summer Sale: Surgeon Simulator 2013

The spending continues. As mentioned in my last post, from July 11th to the 22nd, Steam is having it's annual summer sale, where games are anywhere from 25% to 85% off. My brother and I have been buying probably way too much for our own good,  and I still will not disclose how much I have spent.

(It's doubled since my last post).

In my defense, when I see something that's normally $30 and it's on sale for $5, I'll buy it, hoard it, and then give it someone later as a gift. I'm literally stockpiling birthday and Christmas gifts right now.

I am so clever.

But let's not just talk about my horrible spending habits, let's talk about another great game that I've been playing. Ok, some people may find it absolutely horrifying, others may find it absolutely hilarious. In reality, it's a bit of both.

Who here has ever wanted to be a doctor, but didn't want to go through all the training and debt that comes with medical school. Well, now you too can become a surgeon and perform operations all by yourself with Surgeon Simulator 2013!

(Note, do not try anything you see in this game in real life.)

Yes, that is a fire hydrant being used.

You play as Nigel Burke, a man who literally has no experience being a doctor but has been forced into the role of being a surgeon, and it shows! The controls are clumsy, unintuitive, and difficult at best. He only operates with one hand, and each finger must be individually controlled to grasp anything. With separate keys for each digit, moving the arm up and down, and turning the hand.

And this is where the fun begins.

Now, using these klutzy motor skills, you, yes you, will attempt to perform anything ranging from a heart transplant in a surgical room, to a brain transplant in the back of a moving ambulance using the most awkward of tools in uncompromising angles.

Or just fill the patient's chest cavity with everything you can.

Hack your way into Patient Bob's ribcage using a hammer in order to remove his defective kidneys, saw out his old heart with a bonesaw, and remove unnecessary organs in order to make room for the new. Lungs? Who needs lungs! Onto the floor they go.

Of course, you need to be careful. Slashing around mindlessly whether you want to or not is going to cause your poor patient to bleed and lose blood. And as we all know, losing ALL of your blood is the only way to die.

For anyone still interested, the trailer is below. The game is currently 40% off until July 22th and I highly recommend it for a good laugh.



Note: The Team Fortress 2 Downloadable Content is also free with the purchase of the game. It's good to fool around with if you're a fan of the series.

20 comments:

  1. What? This thing's for sale? HERE, HOLD MY STUFF, I NEED TO GET THIS REAL QUICK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That game looks hilarious! The guy's intestines actually jump around when the car bumps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was like "Surgeon simulator? I have to download this!" and then I was all "That looks insanely difficult and like it shouldn't be done." But I STILL haven't gotten around to the Steam Sale. That's something I do plan to rectify. I don't buy things to later gift them though, I buy them in the hopes that some day within the next year I can have a more powerful computer that can handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool post ! Enjoyed reading it !
    Now-a-days there is something called Robotic surgery that doctors perform. The robot will be able to cut through 360 degrees or so that humans cannot perform; of course the Robot will be controlled by the surgeon.

    This game sounds interesting ! Doctors will be interested in buying it, cant say laymen will like it.

    Many thanks for the comment on my blog about the post on Marine drive, Kochi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remind me of trauma center on DS. Seemed way too hard for it's own good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that an Obamacare training video?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Sounds a little gory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that sounds gruesome and fun haha good idea to stock up on gifts too, or good excuse lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. the [MLG] parody videos for this are going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well at least you are buying sales

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you're so clever. Now how much have you spent so far?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Originally I sort of read this title and thought that the game was going to be a little dull to be honest with you buddy but then I seen the photo of the guy using a FIRE HYDRANT and my opinion literally instantly changed on the spot, it sounds like great fun! Tempted to nab it on my Steam account!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's just smart shopping. My family looks out for things all year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't, but my surgeon would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eww, I would definitely not want to play that. Maybe if were a more accurate surgical game, I might.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched a YouTube gameplay of this, and it's hilarious! It seems that you can barely control anything, and most of the time you just end up throwing a napkin around, and hammering the patient's lungs. Looks like a good novelty game, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My brother just showed me the Steam Summer Sale and his words were, "This is the worst idea ever" so I can only imagine how much he's already spent! Have to say though, I do love Steam, the games are awesome, and yes to replacing wasps with bees, they're much friendlier pollinators! - Tasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dammit, it was hard enough resisting Don't Starve. But this looks so hilariously messed up. I may just have to cave in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AHAHAHA! I wanna try it. But I only want to play it for 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes you are clever on buying things on sale then use it later for holiday gifts. I do the same on book sale :)

    ReplyDelete