Sunday 7 July 2013

Project Jason: Time to Lift

I've been blessed cursed with a ridiculous metabolism. It's to the point where I can eat anything and not gain weight. I mean, you'd think you'd notice some change in your physiology after eating an entire dinner of just fatty pork belly, working in fast food for years, sleep, stress, junk food, etc. etc..

I've maintained the same weight for the last decade, thin as a stick. I have abs thanks to just being so slender, I don't even need to try. Fellow bloggers like Matt and Mark are around my age, both were/are unhappy with their physical appearance, and both have been hitting the gym. And often have to go through hoops and hurdles to get there and back.

So when a fitness center opened up in the mall where I work I realized that I didn't have an excuse anymore. So I went in and purchased a year-long membership and hired a personal trainer for a bit.

No time like the present to get buff.

The idea is that because it's in the mall where I work AND it's open 24/7, I can drop by right before I start a shift at my fast food job, work-out for an hour, and then head to work. The facilities are fairly decent, new machines, I don't have to wait for equipment like some of the other gyms I've been to.

Oh, and private showers. Yeah, I'll be honest, there are few things I hate more than communal showers. Give me a little bit of privacy and we'll go a long way. Private lockers are also nice, just make sure to bring your own lock.

I'm considering buying towel service too, because I don't want to lug around a towel, and have a damp piece of cloth sitting in my work bag during my shift.

Seriously though, I don't like looking at other naked guys. Not for me.

So I went in for my first workout in years today. And it wasn't so bad? I hope I'm using the equipment properly because again, I haven't touched some of these things in ages, and some, not ever. I guess that's what the trainer will come in for.

I'm slightly stiff, my joints feel more sore than the rest of my body so far which worries me a bit. Suggests that maybe I was using at least one of piece of equipment wrong. I generally work 3 times a week so that's 3 workouts a week.

In theory. Public transit is horrendous at best. It's hard to tell if you missed a bus or if it's 10 minutes late.

I guess I could also walk/run to work. It'll only take half an hour.

Note that almost no one except you guys are aware of my work-out sessions. My extreme thinness has been a bit of a sore spot with me so I don't want people to find out I'm trying to fix it. Well, until it becomes odd that I'm not longer so thin.

I especially don't want my family to find out. I know parents can mean well, but I also know that if I decide to sleep in one day or something I can hear my Mother already. "Why aren't you at the gym? Why are you sitting around? You should be at the gym right now. What a waste of money and time, you could be working out.".

So few things are more demotivating than having someone nag you to do it. It doesn't matter what your intentions are, the end result is the same.

Can't lecture me about something if you don't know about it.

Oh, and for anyone wondering why this project is called Project Jason, it's because one of the staff members working at the gym is named Jason who happens to be an ex-coworker of mine. And if I can't land a full-time job anywhere, I might just take up one at the gym.

Money and free gym use? I'll definitely consider it.

28 comments:

  1. Well good luck with it man. I had to jump through a fair amount of hoops to get into that gym in the first place. They have private showers where I go too and they are an absolute blessing. I wouldn't shower if it wasn't for the fact they're private.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something that will be great for you. Stay motivated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money and free gym, not bad. Good luck getting un-thin

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're blessed not cursed with the "lean" figure. Just make sure that the tummy will not bulge in the future because that kind of figure is always a subject of my "LMAO"!

    Muscle pains is just normal after the first few gym sessions. Your body will adjust eventually. And kudos to this project! I've special respect to people that are physically fit. I considered it discipline :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just be careful you don't bulk up so much that you look like the Incredible Hulk or something, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pokemon innuendos posts people have made. Like I'm not going to Raichu a love song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ought to work out more, just because all the crap I eat is going to catch up with me eventually. Good luck with your workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hard part about being thin and working out though, as it doesn't do much at all to build you up mass wise, strength wise yeah, but for mass wise you need fat to turn to muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well the same case is with me! I eat so much but don't gain weight!
    Weird...
    I hate being so thin :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you get buff.. and barring that I hope that you see a difference soon. I remember when I used to be thin.. Then when I gained a little weight i wanted to be thin again. Its an endless cycle lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, people can mean so well but the most unhelpful things come out of their mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, great decision. And ideal it being where you work. Wish you bulky results!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a good thing that your metabolism is good. You must be doing something right. Yes, the job at the Gym sounds good. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. good that you joined it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got a fast metabolism too but here's to hoping I'll be just as fit when I'm moms age!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's good for you, and is a good stress release. You'll be happy you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's pretty awesome that you have a fast metabolism. Everyone is scarfing down junk and no one has the time to move. Myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lean bodies are usually the hottest, Damien, so don't feel sorry for having one :) With a little exercise I'm sure you will get the shape you want. Imagine all of us who have naturally fatty bodies even when we eat nothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good to me, I hope it goes well. I have a small gym at home and lift weights, it does make me feel better about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're lucky that your metabolism is so good. At least college didn't make you bloat up like an inflated frog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's nice to see you motivated like this. Use the motivation to your advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best of luck! I like going to the gym, but since I don't have a car, that kind of limits me to when I can actually go... Luckily, my squadron mandates that we work out 3 days a week (yay military!) and give us time to do it.

    GET SWOLL! Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with project Jason! Give yourself about 20 years, then you'll wish you had your old metabolism back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck w/the workout sessions. Def. hear you on the nagging, I keep the most personal goals secret sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck, man! I too am of the 'very thin, high metabolism' variety. My biggest tip for you - don't be discouraged when you don't bulk up overnight. For guys like us it takes a lot of time. Just be patient and keep at it. I'm just barely starting to get the size of arms/legs that I want, and I've been lifting consistently for about 5 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. good luck with your lifting goals of 2013 brah

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Uni gym i used was brand new, it had all its lockers broken in to in the first week, i stopped going when i caught a rash from one of the machines that never is cleaned.

    Have you thought about martial arts?
    Some of the cardio heavy ones work all the muscle groups as well as a good work out, i was thinking of doing white collar boxing- that's where your opponent won't punch the head and its more sparring so you don't get in to the ring with some psycho with a Rocky fantasy running through his head.

    ReplyDelete