Thursday 25 July 2013

Home Alone

Whenever a family vacation happens, everyone goes. This has happened for years from as young as before Kindergarten to as old as University graduate. If one member of the family couldn't make it, then the whole trip was cancelled or moved until all of us could go.

That is, until this year where my siblings and I insisted (more than usual) that my parents take some time off for themselves and go on a vacation alone. And after much prodding, they did. For the next few weeks my parents are on a cruise that will make numerous stops around Asia by themselves.

Which means I'm essentially left alone to my own vices.

Aka. This.

So far, I haven't starved to death. Or slept in to the point where I miss my shift at work. Or set myself on fire. I think this means I am a fully functioning and capable adult human. My parents were really worried that my siblings and I would kill one another while they were gone. While this may have been true when we were younger, I don't think it applies anymore.

We mostly keep to ourselves and do our own thing. We go to work and come home at different times. Go out and do our own things. No one questions each other. It's really nice. I imagine this is exactly what living with roommates would be like. Except my roommates actually pick up after themselves and share their food with me.

Everyone wins.

No one bothers me while I'm on my computer either.

If there is one issue we've been having, it's our overly worried Grandmother. She calls us A LOT. As in, sometimes over a dozen times in a day to check up on us. The sad thing is that often, no one is home. So we come home to numerous voice messages asking where we are.

It's also a bit worrying because she keeps asking us when we're free because she wants to take us out to lunch. The problem is that we keep telling her that we're all busy and none of us are all free on the same day. So she acknowledges that. Ok, no problem.

And then asks when are we free for lunch. We're busy. Ok, no problem.

So, when are you guys free for lunch?

Are you guys free? I'd like to take you out to lunch.

Makes me wish my Cantonese was better.

Alzheimer's does run in my Mom's side of my family, and my Grandmother's sister recently died of the disease. So we're all very worried about my Grandmother but we're not really sure what else we can do for her. She's kind of like me, really stubborn. And it's not like we can force her to do Sudoku.

Hopefully my Grandmother gets better. And I'm going to continue to enjoy my freedom while it lasts.

25 comments:

  1. I like being alone too when I was your age. It's sort of having the ultimate freedom from I don't know...

    By the way thanks for passing by my running blog. Appreciate it much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully things do get better with your grandmother. She might just be being a grandmother or hoping things have changed and that you can now go to lunch with her. I think even if all of you can't go together maybe one or two of you could go. Either way enjoy the freedom while you have it and don't set eachother on fire. I'm still not sure how well I'd function on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being alone sure has its advantages

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to LOVE having the house to myself - that was the best feeling!

    Hope your grandma gets better too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So do you feel just like Macaulay Culkin? i.e. "Home Alone," not a drug addict.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised to hear that your parents went away and left you guys. I think it's brilliant that you're getting some space and freedom but I didn't expect them to leave you for some reason haha. Hope you have a good time buddy and sorry to hear that about your grandmother, it seems like so many elderly people start a mental slide that ends with dementia but I hope so much that hers doesn't begin for many more years to come, I think she's just being a typical grandmother checking up on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sudoku won't help she would need to do something social like bingo...play with a group of people. my granny has developed dementia so it is hard :(

    yay for being a functional adult!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my paternal grandma died from alz. wasn't pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice for you all to have a bit of freedom! I hope your grandmother has just been told to check in on you frequently...and that she doesn't have Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! Alzheimers is so scary. Maybe she just keeps bringing it up because she wants to have lunch with you individually and she wants to spend time with her grandkids?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Grandmother may not be forgetful just determined to get you guys out for lunch. Maybe you could do something just to make her feel better?

    Ah freedom. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a free lunch and she would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a free lunch and your grandmother would love it, hopes she's alright though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the break. I hope she's just being pushy and not symptomatic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS What are those weird fucked up ads?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I see are ads for jobs and hiring. What have you been searching up lately? D:

      Delete
  16. i hope your grandma gets better aswell, and you guys get to visit her/spend time with her, your siblings sound pretty cool sharing their food :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being alone works for me as well. Although hate roommates, siblings are different

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe talk with the siblings and set a day just for that. Take pictures, give them to her as a gift later on, all that nice stuff.

    It might leave a small dent in your freedom, but you'll all feel nice about it. If not immediately, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy your freedom. Just remember to clean the house before your parents get home.

    Wouldnt hurt to mention your concern about Grandma to your parents when they get back although Grandma might just really want to take you guys to lunch

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, your parents will be visiting Asia ? India too ? Are they also blogging ?

    It is better you guys call her before she calls ! Tell her about your life, just talk to her. Remember we too become old one day. Or send her some text messages frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being alone is awesome! We're allowed to do ANYTHING and no one will find out.
    (unless you have cameras around the place)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope your grandma gets better, enjoy that freedom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww, you're all "growns" up!

    ReplyDelete