Saturday 27 April 2013

Preperations

Summer has only begun and already I'm sitting around trying to figure out things for after summer has come to an end. Can't afford to dawdle, because it's too easy to sit back, relax, and boom! All the time you suddenly had is gone. Also, it's also common for unexpected events to occur that suddenly eat up all your free time.

I wouldn't be surprised if my family decided to take another month long trip to Asia again. This time my Dad has been hinting at going to Korea. Most of us are fairly hesitant because of North Korea being absolutely crazy. But that might change and we'll head somewhere else, who knows.

In the meantime, one of the best motivational messages I've taken to heart as of late is the following:


And so I'll begin my work today. Starting with planning for my academic future. At the moment I have 3 options I'm considering: Graduate studies in Psychology, Speech Pathology, or something in Business.

Unfortunately if I want to continue doing Psychology, I'll have to abandon my province, probably head to Saskatchewan. As I've mentioned before the budget cuts have NOT been kind to anyone. Psychology has lost several support staff and I highly doubt they can afford another graduate student.

Though we fared better than Sociology and Anthropology which had to fuse together to stay afloat.

Speech Pathology is another one in which I'll probably have to abandon my province for as well and also to Saskatchewan. Again, the program in my city is extremely competitive and I doubt my GPA can withstand the scrutiny. Seriously, the only benefit I have is that I'm male, and maybe they'll let me in because of how saturated the field is with women.

Or maybe they're all sexist and that's why there are so few men.

Though I'm not sure Speech Pathology is such a good option. It would require me to take more Linguistics and while it wasn't that bad, my friend's girlfriend is a Linguistics major and she had only one piece of advice for me:

"Linguistics is terrible. Look at these notes, look at them. Don't subject yourself to this.".

Ok, so what about Business? An MBA (Master's in Business Administration) requires that I write not only the GMAT but also have 2 years of experience working full-time. Unfortunately as much as I'd like a well-paying full-time job, I haven't been that lucky. But who knows, maybe I'll run into something so good that I won't want to head back to class in the Fall.

In the meantime, a BCOM (Bachelor's in Commerce) while only a second undergraduate degree, only needs me to take Econ 101 and 102. It's only 2 years long. AND that opens me up to all the beautiful internships in the field. And from what I've seen, the Business students have no end of awesome internships.

Something that Psychology failed me on.

 This is relevant to my interests.

So I guess I'll be aiming at taking Econ 101, Econ 102, maybe a higher level Linguistics course? Maybe another Psychology course for interests sake? I don't want to take more than 3 courses, but we'll see what happens.

But the course registration site is always really iffy on the weekends so I'll have to wait until Monday to try and sign up. In the meantime, I have my projects to work on. I know that I'm vague on the works in progress but it's because I don't enjoy talking about things that aren't completed or unsuccessful. It's a pride thing.

I know I keep saying things look like they're about to work (Project Derp is especially notorious for this) and it's true. They show promise, but they all still need a lot work still before I would consider it a success. I think the best analogy I can come up with is finally being able to properly boil a pot of pasta. Good for you! But you still have a ways to go until this becomes acceptable spaghetti carbenera.


So I'll keep working on my projects, online profiles, job hunts, and my two part-time jobs. Especially my projects. I want to have an update where I have more to talk about as opposed to "STILL WORKING ON IT".

25 comments:

  1. At least you're being pro-active, good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be best to avoid Korea for the time being, but there are plenty of other places you can be going. It sounds like in this case business might be the best choice for you to make. The psychology degree and experience will actually probably still come in quite useful in business because psychology can play a large part in the buying and selling process and in the marketing one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your projects mate, honestly you are such a motivated guy and that in itself is pretty bloody inspirational. Just keep at it mate, just keep working on it, working on your life and everything else will follow. Honestly any other time I myself would jump at going to North Korea but right now considering how scary things are it would honestly be a terrible time, I don't think it would be wise at all to go right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the Bachelor's in Commerce route works for you. It's rough when one decision, made in such a short period of time, might determine the fate of our life. Of course, it's never too late to go back and try something different.
    And I wouldn't want to go to South Korea right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of the three professional options you're considering, which has the best and most numerous job opportunities for you on graduation? No point getting qualified in an area if there are no jobs there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of ology's there lol and who knows maybe your projects will hit it big and you can say to hell with school

    ReplyDelete
  7. You working life is so long that it makes sense to do something you think you'll actually enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a good ear and like working with people, then it may be worth your time and effort to go with speech pathology. Not to mention the overabundance of female classmates.

    Otherwise, definitely business. It may not be personally satisfying in the long term, but it will support you until you find out what you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sadly, psychologists don't have much job here either :( even though I believe we all need a good psychologist :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are very busy to me. Summer?? Is it sumer already?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you are still considering doing Linguistics (I nearly typed linguine - it's the pasta reference! LOL!) despite the warnings!

    Planning is always good as well as having plans B, C and D of course! :-) GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowsa! So much going on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a lot of school. Sasketchawan! It's amazing that it is a real place, as it's the jokey, faraway place we refer to here. As in, "I could move to Sasketchawan."

    ReplyDelete
  14. The amazing thing is, the minute you defer or postpone something, something happens. It's Murphy's Law - something HAS TO HAPPEN so you'll never have time to complete the work you should have done in the first place.

    In any case, wishing you good luck in all your subjects :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's a walk in the park. Central Park. But I might be biased, being a linguist and all.... ;) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did a little psychology and it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My advice would be to go with linguistics, so you could introduce yourself to the ladies as a "cunning linguist." Outside of that, I guess the advice some others have said about finding the one with the best overall job opportunities is sound advice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BCOM sounds like a nice door opener, keep your options open :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh Econ is not one of my favorite classes...I don't envy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should have continued with grad school after I got my bachelors, the job market blows and now, yeah. haha. good luck though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well good luck to you............sounds like a lot of work you are in for..........

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember looking at my best friend's linguistic assignments when she used to do them during our archaeology class. That might be why I never took a linguistics class. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sask? Which part of Canada are you from?

    Well, I hope you have a good summer and whatever you decide to do I'm sure will be a good decision.

    ReplyDelete