Friday 5 August 2011

Finding a job?

Thanks for all the encouraging comments so far, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I don't have much experience blogging so I wasn't too sure about the response I was going to get but hey, I might as well try.

I know what I'm doing, I think.

One of the things I've been trying to do is find a decent job. I mean, I've had a fast food one for a while now but it doesn't look that great on a resume. Plus, if I could get a good job and maybe take a year off and just work it be a nice break from studying. I would get valuable job experience and maybe even a reference. And it would be nice to actually make some money instead of constantly being poor from buying textbooks and paying tuition.

But that's part of the problem. I've been trying for the last 5 months and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Hurr durr.

It certainly isn't from lack of trying. I've sent in a resume, cover letter, etc., etc. to eight different places, managed to snag interviews for four of those places and got rejected by all four of them. Something about finding someone most qualified or a better fit for the job. Well what did you expect? I'm a University student with minimal real work experience.

I still have a little ray of hope however, I found two more jobs that somewhat appeal to me. They're both hospital kind of work, one with seniors and the other deals with the mentally disabled and I'd be alright with either one because I certainly can't afford to be picky.

There are just a few problems though. Like, if I fail to get either job by the end of August I'll be just heading off to another year of University, and because I couldn't get a summer job I'm kind of low on money and will probably need my parents to pay for my tuition for now. And that both these jobs are about an hour drive away, and I applied for them about a week ago and I still haven't heard back from either one.

Come on...

Yeah, I'm still a bit bitter about not landing the job as a lawyer's assistant, that payed well, was close to home, and potentially offered me part-time hours when I decided to head back to classes.... But what can you do? I'll take what I can get it. It be nice to have a bit of a breather and re-evaluate my bearings in life.

ASSUMING I ever hear back from either of those guys.

37 comments:

  1. Eh, just watch, you'll land one of those jobs. You'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important not to let yourself get discouraged. Look at it as training. You're getting valuable experience in interviewing. If you have to ask your parents for help, that isn't the end of the world. If that doesn't work out then apply for loans and keep looking for jobs. Something will happen for your. Also, when you go back to school, don't get too caught up in partying like I did.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer man my old roommate is going into law school next year. He did this for no pay. Probably brown nosing but it is what he wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can suck trying to get a job as a Uni student man. Im in the same boat, takes forever some times to get anything worthwhile. And you have to go through the "We need someone with experience" thing, feel like yelling at them sometimes "How can I get experience in the field if you wont hire me!". Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. :S uni' sucks that bad? can't wait to go uni' /sarcasm

    +fol!
    i'm sure something will turn up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you will get a positive response sooner or later.
    hoping for sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude, i dont have any idea what to do in this kind of situation (because im stuck there myself), but i wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I know how annoying it can be finding a job while you have other responsibilities like uni. best of luck man

    ReplyDelete
  9. well I'm not going to tell you what you must do, but think of this, which one would you pick if both of them accepted you?
    If none of them accept you, don't worry, your parents won't hate you :) I wish you best of the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just keep looking . Your first job isn't your carrier just earn experience

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck man. Hope you get something closer by or one of those two hospital jobs if not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah g'luck finding a job dude. I'm in the same position. Been looking for a job for ages now ;/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh that's rough... try going in and leveling with a manager. Show them you're a real person and more than a piece of paper. I got my job by confronting the hiring desk and essentially talking my way into a job. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep trying, is all you can do for now

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodluck man, its hard out there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You want to work in the hospital area? Like a nurse? That's a hard job man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it can take a long time to find a job, just keep looking and getting your resumes out there, you will find one eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tell me about it. I think I've sent my resume out to 15+ places and never heard back, albeit in only a HS graduate looking for business related work

    ReplyDelete
  19. it would be nice if we could all get paid to blog. That would be the life. You should trying personally bringing your resume to places that are hiring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I applied for a job. I went through the interview and they told me I know a lot, I'm really good for the position and that they want me to start right away... for 25% less of the money I had asked for.
    Basically, I'd be working for one of the biggest IT companies in the world for pennies. Now I know how they got to be the biggest company in the world... paying crappy salaries, that's how.
    Anyway, I really hope you manage to get a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Same problem here, I work night shifts at a local tech store..but need something better, I dont know I guess the right job will come eventually just gotta keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds like you are being modest. I am sure you will land a job soon and taking off from school to work is not the best idea in my opinion.
    BUT GOOD LUCK! hope you get what you want~~

    ReplyDelete
  23. at least your trying! it will pay off eventually

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been stuck in the grocery buisness for awhile. Had in an interview with Helzberg diamonds, but they wanted somebody good. Story of my life

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep, sometimes life f'cks you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. good luck dude and keep it up!
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's difficult to get a job that pays decently, has decent hours, so you can study, and is close to home. Actually, it's near-impossible now that I think of it ;P But, good luck to you bro :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah, finding any kind of real job nowadays is super hard. I'm stuck where I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jorbs. Hard as hell to come by now a days. I have a job but the pay is nothing more than a token thing. Oh well. Hope your luck turns out better!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey, I've actually just pretty much come to the end of my gap year which was filled with job hunting and getting rejected from said job. However, I do have some good advice for you, which should cheer you up. If it's experience they're after then I'd say do some volunteering for a while. That's what I've done and from volunteering with this charity I've been offered extra - paid - work, an internship and a reference. I had no admin/office experience before then and since have gained so much. http://www.do-it.org.uk are a good place to start, that's where I landed my one. I know how difficult it is to find a job right now, but the more experience you have the better chance of getting a job. It's tough but you will find something eventually. Just try and focus on Uni for now, once you're done you'll have more time to get some work experience I should think. Sorry for such a long-winded message! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Im trying to find one also, no luck so far...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just like everyones said, don't discourage yourself. A few years ago, I was unemployed for 9 months. I applied rigorously and couldn't find anything really. See if anyone you know knows of any openings at their work, or since you're a student, go to your school as they usually have employment offices.

    Most importantly, don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Getting a job is a job in itself... definitely the worst part... once your in it it's not so bad. Just keep your head up, and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow, man that's actually GOOD - did i read that correctly, you sent EIGHT resumes and got FOUR interviews? dude, i've been job hunting for TWO years! we relocated a few months ago and i have kept a record of what jobs i have applied for. i have sent 175 resumes since FEB and got one interview, one and it was horrible. stay positive! don't give up, we will find something!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I feel your pain! I'm taking a year out of university because I want to change my degree but it seems impossible to find a decent job. Good luck though :)

    ReplyDelete